Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Raven Saint

Title: The Raven Saint
Author: M.L. Tyndall
ISBN: 978-1-60260-158-1

From the back cover:

Grace Westcott has spent her entire life serving God and helping the poor-- not to mention trying to save the souls of her two wayward sisters. But while on an errand of mercy, she is kidnapped by a French mercenary and told she will be sold to a Spanish Don in Columbia.

Determined to hold on to her faith and see God in every situation, she believes she must have been sent to help someone find God's love. But no one will listen to her pleas, warnings, and prayers.

When Grace's situation grows far worse than she could imagine, she is forced to face her own human weaknesses. But she isn't prepared to face her biggest weakness of all--falling in love with the nefarious captain, Rafe Dubois.

Will Grace discover God's purpose for this harrowing journey? And what will she do when she realizes His purpose for her is not to redeem the captain and his crew, but herself?

My take:

I'm so glad I got this book and it was my first book of 2010. What a way to start the year! I love MaryLu Tyndall and this series so much, but the saying "saved the best for last" really fit this book well for many reasons. Not the least of which is the dashing mercenary captain, Rafe Dubois. I loved his character. In full disclosure, it didn't hurt that the author let it slip she pictured Rafe looking like Orlando Bloom in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

I ask you, what's not to love? lol

Seriously, this book tackled an issue a lot of Christian fiction doesn't. Sometimes we're the problem. Sometimes we're the ones needing fixing~ for a whole lot of things. Grace isn't a bad person, but she has become more than a little judgmental and it's hurting her relationships with friends and family, and ultimately, it doesn't please God.

How she comes to that revelations and deals with it is both realistic, tender and at times somewhat funny. Add to that a serious and passionate attraction to a man she is certain has to be evil incarnate ~ and poor Grace has quite the journey.

Rafe is a complex character in his own right. He doesn't want to be attracted to Grace any more than she wants him and yet... he can't seem to keep his thoughts from her. She is nothing like he expected her to be. Will he be able to hand her over to the Don knowing she isn't who he thought she was? Plus, just like the rest of the books in the series, there are plenty of other surprises and danger in store for the whole crew.

The romance in this book sizzled like yummy bacon on a Saturday morning. Every character reached out and grabbed your heart in their own way. MaryLu Tyndall captured not only Rafe and Grace, but colorful characters like Father Alers ~ a crewman who had once been a Jesuit but had given up his faith, Thorn ~ Rafe's first mate and a man who seems as out of place on the ship as Grace, but is determined to remain, and who can leave out Spyglass? That's Rafe's cat who becomes more enamored with Grace than Rafe and saves her from trouble.

I hope you'll consider adding this one to your reading wish list; I know you won't be disappointed.

9 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who hasn't read this book LOL?! I can't wait to get this one! I'm supposed to get a copy to review so I'm super excited...especially since I've heard so many great things about it! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great read. I'm definitely going to be looking for it. Great metaphor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee, I haven't seen any other reviews yet, but I haven't had much time to check this morning. I look forward to reading them. :o)

    Beth, I'm glad you liked the review and I hope you enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    Sounds like a great book. But sorry to say I've never read any of this author's works. I'll be checking into this one. Thanks for stopping by my place, Just Books. Have a great day!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Lee. :) I have this book on it's way to me..I ordered it last week. :D Now I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thanks again for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherri! Good to see you, and I hope you like the author and the book.

    Angie ~ I just know you're going to love the book. I'm not surprised you're already expecting it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo! Another one I just skimmed! It's on it's way to me as well...I hope anyway. ;)

    I'm gonna have to go back and read Blue Enchantress first though. I passed it on to my sister w/o reading it first. Oops!

    I'll plan on dropping back by to read your reviews fully, once I've read/reviewed these books. You always post such great reviews anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Should I be surprised we're all reading the same books? The only thing I'm surprised at is that usually you read them first! lol I'm glad you're interested in the same books ~ it shows I must be choosing the best things to read. :o)

    I hope you like this one and I look forward to reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I think we're all reviewers for the same publishers! *wink*

    You and Renee are the ones who read them all first! I'm always waaaay behind y'all. :(

    ReplyDelete