Friday, January 15, 2010

The Country House Courtship


Title: The Country House Courtship
Author: Linore Rose Burkard
ISBN: 978-0-7369-2799-4

From the back cover:

It has been five years since Ariana Forsythe married the Paragon, Mr. Phillip Mornay. Now, Ariana's sister, Miss Beatrice Forsythe, is seventeen and determined to marry advantageously as well. (Surely Ariana's society connexions all but guarantee Beatrice's success-- especially if Mr. Mornay is created a baronet by the Prince Regent! Ariana would be Viscountess Mornay.)

But the Mornays have disappeared from high society as they raise a family at their country estate. Can Beatrice persuade them to chaperone her in London? And what about her business with the curate, Mr. O'Brien, whom Beatrice had rashly promised to marry years earlier? She is too sophisticated now to settle for a mere clergyman-- despite his agreeable countenance and gentle, understanding ways.

When Mr. Tristan Barton becomes tenant of the Manor House, Beatrice's hopes seem to have found their object. But when Ariana falls gravely ill, secrets come to light, motives are revealed, and pretenses that were easy to keep up in the darkness begin to crumble. As hearts are bared and truths uncovered, a country house courtship like no other cannot be far behind!

My take:

Leave it to Linore Burkard to pack not one, but three love stories within one romance novel. Ariana and Mr. Mornay are still deeply in love. Their romance is felt throughout these pages. It is heartening to see when they have children roaming about, guests visiting, and even when they disagree, how their love for one another has grown through the course of their marriage.

They also play a very important role in helping Beatrice choose the type of marriage she would like to have. Initially she only sees the surface qualities their marriage offered Ariana, but with time she realizes the love they share would have been the same no matter what their financial situation. She is then free to choose a man she loves whether he is wealthy or not.

Her research into the times is always second to none. When serious illness with terrible fevers sweeps through the cities and then into the country as well, the doctors at the time don't know how to treat it and many die. It was disheartening to hear how they were using bleeding, smothering people with blankets and avoiding even cool compresses.

This was a book about relationships more than anything else. The author beautifully captured the interplay between families, rivals, friends, husband and wife... and all done in an era where the rules were different but the heart doesn't change. I would love to say it was a perfect ending to the series she's written about this family, but I'm still considering a petition for more books. :o)

19 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! Three love stories, yay! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this series! I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. I don't want to give too much away, but it was very nice having so many handsome, gallant men rushing to stand by their lady loves in one book. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Lee, I love your review! (and thanks for finding me on FB--I just accepted your invite.: ) If you get at least ten different people to leave a comment, I'll donate a free book to one of them. You choose the winner and send me the mailing info.

    Btw, you're not the first one to say you hope there will be more in this series...so I'm thinking about it!

    Thanks again for having my book on your beautiful blog, and for your kind words.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    Sounds like my kind of book. I love a good romance in the Victorian age. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great weekend.

    Sherrie
    Just Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. I might just have to check it out.
    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting - I like the idea of the intertwined romances, and it sounds like the author has done some serious research. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo la la handsome regency gentlemen...what more can a girl ask for! I'm so glad you enjoyed it Lee! It sounds terrific!

    xoxo~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linore, you are the best! Not only are you generous enough to offer a book, but also the possibility of another one in the series? You know you have my vote. :o)

    Thank all of you for stopping by and your kind comments. Send your friends. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This series sounds wonderful. I have heard of this author but not read any of her books yet! I hope you make 10 comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We need three more people in order to make ten... If you know anyone else who may be interested, send them over to the blog. I will be posting a new review on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tweeted it for you Lee!!! Hope that helps!

    xoxo~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks!
    Blessings and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lee & Linore -

    I popped over here from Facebook. Love your blog design!

    I've read Linore's first two books, and can't wait to pick up Country House.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're one short. I'll give it one more day, even though I do plan on writing another review tonight to post. If we don't make the 10 comments, then I want to thank Linore for the offer and all of you for your interest. I have another giveaway planned in the very near future - so watch for it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never read anything by Linore. This sounds just heavenly though!! Good luck with your giveaway contest. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to win!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll pick a winner after midnight tonight. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I contacted the winner, MarthaE, and if I don't get a response within a day or two, I'll pick a new name. Thank you all for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. THANK YOU Lee and Linore! I look forward to reading this book! I am e-mailing my info.

    ReplyDelete