Thursday, December 30, 2010

Top 10 Historical Fiction for the Year

Top 10 
Historical Fiction Reads for 2010
I had so many favorite books that I decided to break my list down into two this year. I'll share my overall favorites tomorrow but I read a lot of historical fiction, so this was the bulk of my favorites list. I read 46 Christian historical fiction novels and another 14 classics or "other" historical fiction novels. The top ten are all Christian but I listed a few honorable mentions as well (I just had to cheat). :o) Even with breaking it into two lists (and cheating a little) there still is not nearly enough room for all the wonderful books I read this year. So many touched my heart and were important to me. It's too hard to pick. I think we should be able to pick thirty or forty books. I didn't pick that number out of a hat either. I had 33 favorites listed at the end of the year.

In no particular order:

1.  Maid to Match by Deanne Gist
2.  She Walks in Beauty by Siri L. Mitchell
3. Highland Blessings by Jennifer Hudson
4. Love on a Dime by Cara Lynn James
5. The Falcon and the Sparrow by M.L. Tyndall
6. Surrender the Heart by M.L. Tyndall
7. The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
8. The Raven Saint M.L.Tyndall
9. The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
10. A Hope Undaunted by Julie Lessman


~Honorable Mentions~
I discovered a fabulous author this year. I read several of her books but my two favorites were:

Venetia and Frederica by Georgette Heyer

As I look at my list it seems like I may have been a bit biased towards a particular author. I didn't mean to be. In the long list there was a lot of variety - and it was hard to choose. There were special circumstances too. I didn't discover The Falcon and the Sparrow until this year and loved it so much I couldn't leave it off the list. I can't possibly be blamed for her putting out two such awesome books this year. ;o)

11 comments:

  1. LEE!!! Thank you SO much for including A Hope Undaunted on your list -- I am BLESSED!!! And it's obvious to me that we have similar tastes because most of what you listed would be on my list too!!

    Here's to a blessed New Year and beyond!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone that has read The Healer's Apprentice has raved over it, so I really need to make plans to read it VERY soon!! And I need to get caught up on the Tyndall books, too...they're all patiently waiting. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O yes! I loved The Healer's Apprentice...*sigh* I wish I could have added most of these books to my list because I loved them too! Great picks!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - You're very welcome. I loved the book and couldn't wait until it came out. :o) Have a wonderful New Year!

    Christy - The Healer's Apprentice was awesome and I cannot believe that M.L. Tyndall came out with two books and they were both incredible. Her blog is pretty wonderful too. I always visit when I need to be pointed back in the right direction.

    Renee - I wish I could add a bunch more. It is so hard picking these lists! Sometimes I get done and think - how could I not have picked that book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lee, I just saw this! I feel so privileged to be on your list. Thank you so much! I've read nearly all the books on your list too. And Loved them all!! Thank you for your kind words. Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MaryLu - Thank you so much for stopping by and for sharing such great books with us! I hope you have a blessed New Year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great list. :) I've read quite a few of those and of course have a lot on my TBR shelf. I'm thinking of getting two books for my Kindle and it's all your fault. ;) The two are: The Healer's Apprentice and The Girl in the Gatehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie - Those are two great books. I'm sorry to add you your list. I know how that feels but you couldn't make better choices. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so thrilled to be included! Thank you, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer - I loved your book and can't wait to read what you come up with next. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I downloaded samples of each of them yesterday so I could see which one I wanted to get first and then today I find out The Healer's Apprentice is free so looks like I'll be reading it first and then I'm getting The Girl in the Gatehouse. :)

    ReplyDelete