Saturday, November 20, 2010

Out Live Your Life

Title: Out Live Your Life
Author: Max Lucado

Book Description:

These are difficult days in our world's history. 1.75 billion people are desperately poor, natural disasters are gouging entire nations, and economic uncertainty still reigns across the globe. But you and I have been given an opportunity to make a big difference. What if we did? What if we rocked the world with hope? Infiltrated all corners with God's love and life? We are created by a great God to do great works. He invites us to outlive our lives, not just in heaven, but here on earth. Let's live our lives in such a way that the world will be glad we did.

My Take:

Most of the books I review are fiction. I do read non-fiction though. One of my favorite writers of Christian non-fiction is Max Lucado because he manages to inspire and challenge without using ten dollar words and resorting to theological terms that most people can't relate to. His stories cut straight to the heart and stick with you long after you close the cover. This book is no exception. In fact, I think it's the best book of his that I've read.

The whole idea is that just like the humble motley crew of fisherman, tax collectors and the like from the early church - we can make a difference today. Too many people believe that they are just one person and can't do anything. Yet there are many examples when one person made a huge impact. We need to remember that God can and wants to use us to impact the world around us in big and small ways.

A lot of it is also about legacy. What do we want to leave behind? What we give and do for God can impact generations and last much longer than just our lifetime. What an exciting and challenging concept. I also think it's something that our world desperately needs right now. Many more people don't understand who God is at all. They need to know the truth about what the Bible says and they need people who will live out that truth for them - showing them they don't need to be perfect.

I can't say enough good things about this book. It was a great read and had wonderful ideas. Please consider reading it and passing it along to friends and family. My copy was provided by Thomas Nelson for review. I thank them for it, though it did not influence my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment